“It was night, and the rain fell; and falling, it was rain, but, having fallen, it was blood.” Edgar Allen Poe in Silence – A Fable. Also me, when you ask me to listen to your podcast.
We’ve all been there, you can feel it coming, they’ve been dropping subtle hints about their podcast for weeks now, but lately, they’re becoming more obvious. It’s becoming clear, sooner or later, a friend or colleague is going to ask you straight out – “Hey, wanna listen to my podcast?”
“Look, we’re old friends, I love you right, but I don’t want to listen to your podcast. Tonight I’ve got a date with a family bag of pretzels and I plan to watch the Tarleys getting barbecued by Daenerys again. Don’t judge me.” Is what we want to say when the dreaded question finally comes, but social convention sometimes prevents us from saying what we really feel.
Friendship and working relationships are important, second only to family, and it can be tricky to navigate this kind of situation, but fear not, Prinks has your back. Simply use any of these tried and tested response when you get asked the dreaded question and with a bit of luck, you’ll never have to listen to anyone’s podcast ever again – phew!
• I’d love to but I’m afraid I’m busy that day.
• I’m allergic
• I have a syndrome
• I have issues
• I have a note from my mum
• It’s complicated
• 3 out of 10, would not recommend
• Our time on this planet is so brief, let us not waste it on such frivolities, come, embrace the night
• I can’t because the patriarchy
• Wait, what’s that behind you? I’m pretty sure that was a golden eagle…
• I have already listened to it, it was awesome and you’re a total ledge
• I’ve added it to my playlist
• Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe
• If God had meant for me to listen to your podcast, he would have made you more talented
• It’s bad enough listening to you in real life
• Already have, it got ten points for Hufflepuff
Good luck, and if you have any better ideas, please let us know, it’s always good to have a few new ones lined up and they’ll be a prize for of a Prinks Podcast Subscription for the best effort.